Hi I'm Mrs Astle, I am the school's emotional support worker. I am a qualified ELSA (Emotional Literacy Support Assistant) and have been trained to deliver a variety of different interventions to support the children's needs across the school.
My role includes:
- In charge of all Young Carers in school.
- Supporting children of military families during times of parental deployment and transition in and out of school
- Organising and running the induction process for new children who join our school during the school year as well as assessing their learning.
- Running Bits and Pieces Club. Membership is by invitation only to help children who need a break from the playground or need support socially.
- Facilitating worry,anxiety and anger programmes
- Drawing and talking therapy interventions
- Trained to help Bereaved children
- Emotional support for children going through difficult times.
- Supporting mental well being
- Co-ordinating the PAT dog sessions.
Many of the interventions are of a short term nature in order to support individuals with school related issues. There are occasions when it is necessary to operate a waiting list if demand is high.
If parents have concerns about their child's emotional /social well being, the class teacher should be the first point of contact. The teacher will decide if it is appropriate to refer to Mrs Astle.
Bridget, our PAT dog
Bridget is our school PAT dog and she is owned by Mr Arnold. The link below explains more about the Pets As Therapy charity and the important role Bridget plays in school with supporting reading.
However Bridget likes to be kept busy so she also helps our children in other ways ranging from supporting children not wanting to come in to school in the morning, helping with friendship issues or when they are distressed. She provides comfort and a listening, non judgemental ear for the children's problems.